Seems simple right? You have a photo shoot coming up. It could be a family portrait session or an eight hour wedding. You are focused on getting the most amazing images for your portfolio. Stop right there. You should be thinking about getting your gear ready and organized. One of the main things you will need is batteries. Batteries run our gear. Without them you can’t take those beautiful images.
I had a ritual of charging my batteries before a wedding. Here’s what I did.
- Gather all camera batteries. ( I shoot Canon)
- Have 2-3 camera battery chargers. Have at least two batteries charging on their dock at the same time. These take a couple hours depending on how depleted they are.
- Once the light turns solid (it blinks while it’s charging) you can remove the battery from the dock. Be sure to place it or store it somewhere different then the batteries that need to be charged still.
- Gather all your double AA batteries. I have four sets of rechargeable AA batteries.
- Keep the same sets together and insert them into their charging stations. These will take from 1-3 hours. They cost more upfront but I found they last longer while shooting and you end up saving money in the long run. (keep a package of brand new AA’s in your bag as back-ups)
Here is a link to different Canon camera batteries and their chargers. I know the chargers are expensive but you should have at least two, especially if you are shooting events.
Here are examples of what you are looking for. I have used this brand and they work great. They lasted well over a year before I had to replace them. Of course, if they stop holding a charge after you have charged them then it’s time to get a new set. To the right is an example of a charging station. You want to charge all four at the same time so be sure it holds four batteries before you buy it. These are both available at online at Best Buy or you can find them in your local store such as Target or Walgreens. Batteries cost around $12 and charger $20-$25.
Next I want you to get cases to hold your batteries for your photo shoot. This is my go to case by Delkin that protects the batteries, stores eight at a time and is water resistant. They are only $10 each and the link is above to buy your own.
Now, I’m going to share one of my tricks with you. Put your fully charged batteries in the case with the positive side on each battery facing up. This means they are all lined up as seen below. This tells me that both sets are all charged and ready to use.
Next, when I am done using a set of batteries I put them back in the case but flip two of the batteries so they are the opposite direction. As you can see below the bottom set of batteries is used and the top batteries are still ready to use.
In the image below can you see that both sets of batteries are used? Now I know if I grab this case or my assistant grabs it that I can not use any of these batteries to shoot with. You need to stay organized when you are working. Your brain will be focusing on so many visual things while shooting you need to keep your gear organized and easy to use.
Overall if you are just getting started you will need to invest in batteries. For double AA’s you are looking at between $60-100 for four sets of batteries and two chargers. For your camera batteries you should have at least three unless you have a battery grip then you will need sets of two. Cost for these will range from $100-$200 depending on the brand of camera you have.
I hope this has helped. Remember being prepared is a big part of being successful. None of these links are affiliates and are just me sharing resources with you. Sign up below for my newsletter to get advanced advice and tips you won’t find on my site.